Tough couple days in the real world, so I haven't been able to share progress here. But, progress is being made.
I took the rear crossmember from the 34 pickup and grafted it into 32 frame. I also cut the x-member out and worked it into the 32 frame. I have done some other rear suspension mods but they're not picture ready yet.
May not look like much has changed since the last mock-up, but I did add .020 disks to the back side of the wheels to enable me to pin the wheels to the axles. So it is now standing on all four tires on it's own with no blocking aids. I also started fitting the engine in place.
Yep, cool..I actually kind of like the overhang, but that central bow/hump does need to move back. So...I guess maybe move the roof back as Dennis mentioned, then do whatever is necessary to re-shape the back and the side window openings. Because right now the position of the window opening vs the door cut line is pretty good IMHO.
The top is just for fun, I started hacking on it while I was waiting for stuff to dry. It's a first issue AMT 36 Ford piece. I cut along the seam, I narrowed it a saw blades width on each side up front, and about 1mm at the bottom of the rear. That allowed me to angle the bottom of the roof snug against the body. Then I trimmed a bunch of height around the bottom.
I like the overhang, gives it a visor type feel. I'm kinda content with it now, but it is replaceable, so I may keep hacking on it. It's only plastic. I might try removing some length just behind the hump, to bring that whole front portion rearward. But here's some examples of some that appear to have the hump ahead of the rear door line...
Or it may end up with no top at all. Like I said, I was just messing around, and it's only plastic.
here is a `36 ford top I modified a few years ago, it has decent proportions but I believe it can be better also.
I had someone give me a half dozen or so `36 tops a few years ago, so I have some to work with.
Your top looks awesome John. I only stumbled on the 36 top because I was looking for a top with a gentle curve at the back. But you show how it can look if modified appropriately. If mine looks half as good as yours I'll be happy.
I removed a few scale inches behind the front bow. While doing this I also reduced the height of the arch. I need to refine the daylight opening on both sides, but otherwise am pretty happy with it. The windshield has also been chopped.
Yeah, That is looking Great, Mine is chopped some because I used the Stacey David Roadster kit, it comes with a chopped windshield, I have some more of those tops I may hack another one up and see what I can come up with !!
If any of you guys want to come up with a stock height and/or chopped top for me to mold and offer for this '32 rpu I'm game!
Now that I have the general shape of this one ironed out, if I can refine it a bit and get it casting ready, you're welcome to it. It would pair really well with the chopped windshield I sent you
*EDIT*- I'm not sure you would want this top I've made. If I was making it to cast from the beginning I would have given more care to the underside, making sure it was up to your standards. But I'm not sure I could get it there now.
Last Edit: Jun 11, 2019 7:14:31 GMT -5 by mrmetallic