I have some downtime on the 32 ford while I wait for some parts to arrive , so I figured I could start feeling out another build. I wanted to do a custom this time, but wanted to keep it pretty simple. As far as chopping bigger body cars you can’t get much easier than re-chopping the Revell mercury. I took roughly 2 scale inches out of the C pillars and a little less off the B pillars, leaving the windshield and back glass as they are supplied. Side skirts are modified from the 64 mercury marauder, thanks to those who helped me figure out how to shape them. Front and rear bumperettes are from the parts packs, but the chrome was chipped off so I stripped them and adapted some unknown red bullet shaped covers to appear as taillights on them, going for a fifties inspired space age feel. Fade away fender line line is a must for me, I have never cared for the drop in the fender line on these cars. I am not sure where I am going other than those details, but I guess some kind of a chrome trim strip and I think gloss black for paint. Totally just going with whatever happens though, no over planning on this one... open to all feedback and suggestions.
After playing around with options for the front bumper I finally conceded that I have nothing that can really tie in to the rear treatment, style wise. I finally settled on using the kit front bumper as it is the best option I have at this time. I thought about using a few of the narrower amt corner bumpers from the parts pack, but it leaves the entire mis section of the front pan showing and is lacking in visual appeal. Having settled on using the kit supplied front bumper, I am not sure that the 50 style Dagmar‘s on the back will be a cohesive design. I came up with one other rear treatment I like and I think is slightly more in line with the front, but still only to some degree. I would like to hear opinions on either look, or even ideas for the front that may not be too expensive to acquire, as in not a rare expensive kit. I have also not addressed the B pillars yet because I have not decided if they are staying or going. Here is option 2 I am cogitating on. I am pretty sure I can drill out the center piece to add the brake light to the bumper.
I also changed the attitude of the frenched headlights by removing the revell extended buckets and rebuilding them with angle cut tube, I believe they are less extended on the rear than Revell’s but with a considerable change at the fender line. The top has been shaped in, but the bottom has to be filled and shaped still to blend in the addition.
Last Edit: Jun 17, 2020 8:52:22 GMT -5 by jeff: Spelling, grammar, missing words