Post by thirdgearspeedshop on Jul 31, 2019 8:28:53 GMT -5
While the rolled edge of the body is setting up I turned my attention to the 4 banger. I wanted this build to have a Cragar Miller OHV head so I took the Revell 2 port Riley head and sanded down the top flat. I then cut the bottom half off of an old glue bomb AMT 4 banger and glued the 2 halves together to make a taller head ( the exhaust ports are in the head instead of in the block). Bolt details and plug holes will be added to the block. I found a finned valve cover in the parts box but it was too long for the 4 banger. I didn't want to mess up the fins by slicing down the middle so I sliced the fins off then shortened the bottom half. The plan is to re-attach the fins and carefully shorten the back, blending in the fins to the back edge. Then covering up the seam lines. This is all a big experiment so it may not work BUT if it does, I would love to find someone to cast the head and valve cover so I could use them on future builds.
Post by thirdgearspeedshop on Aug 5, 2019 8:34:29 GMT -5
I made some progress on the Miller Cragar head this weekend. and started fabricating an exhaust. Upon closer inspection of the last pic, it looks like the front exhaust port is set too far back. Sometimes taking pics help you see it from a different perspective. I will plug the holes and start fresh. I'm also not that happy with the headers. I think they need a megaphone shape starting just after the first exhaust pipe. I'll be reworking that as well. stay tuned.
Looks good! Looks like a re-purposed AMT '49 Ford valve cover on top? I agree the exhaust could use a bit of a megaphone. Curious to see how you do that!
Honestly, I couldn't tell you what kit that valve cover came from. It was too long to fit the 4 cyl. head so I had to remove the fins, shorten it and then put everything back together. I also had to make a notch to accommodate the distributor stem.
Post by thirdgearspeedshop on Aug 6, 2019 8:08:21 GMT -5
I made a header flange with new exhaust hole locations as well as reworking the headers. I'm telescoping larger tube into the smaller rod and sanding to get a smooth megaphone shape. I need to decide if it looks better to keep it short (like the Santiago speedster pictured) or continue out the back with a longer exhaust tube. All opinions are welcome.