Color looks great! Restrained and classy. In fact, it's a tough-looking color, to the point where I wonder if maybe blackwalls and early Americans would look good. Or the current TT II mags with darker centers. Or Keystones. Ooooor Halibrand smoothies in a matte finish with chrome tri-blade knockoffs (this option grabs me the most!)
Here are some wheel/tire ideas in visual form. Street roddy one for wheel/body color/knockoff reference only:
I wonder what diameter those Halibrand Smoothies are? They look like '20s or bigger!
Right now, I'm all over the place with getting a wheel and tire setup that I like. I thought sure I had it with the Torque Thrusts and white walls. But, when I mocked it up, it just didn't grab me like I thought it would.
Well, if you want to keep it Trakable, the chrome-reverse wheels with painted centers would be great! I didn't mean to push things towards street rod look with the image I posted above--just thought the wheel color and body color worked well together, like a smooth dark-grey Halibrand smoothie could look good on your 3-window!
I really liked the Torque Thrusts with whitewalls when the body was in primer, but I agree that now when the body is painted (A beautiful color!) they don't quite fit. Personally I'd go with the Torque Thrusts and blackwall tires, or then the Chrome Reverses which look really good too.
Chris, I had already tried the Hellas before you made your post. So, you didn't push. I follow a build wherever it takes me even if it's off trak. Looking at the photo with the Hellas has got me in the notion of building a modern version. I wouldn't want to do all of the work I did to this one though.
Glen, I haven't seen any 3D wires. I did try a set of Kelsey Hayes wires on it. They did give it a classy look. But, I want the bad ass hot rod look for this build.
Craig, I think I'll paint the spokes on this old worn out set a dark color and just see what they look like. If I don't like them, I can just pitch them. If I do like them, I'll paint a new set. I think I'll try satin black or a charcoal gray.
Back on this one 'til it's done. May have it done by the end of the week. Last night, I got the chassis done and had to see what it looked like with the body on. As soon as I got it together, I saw that it didn't look like the hood would fit. Aaaaand I was right unfortunately. I just walked away and went to bed! This morning, I came up with a solution. I took the engine out of the chassis, removed the breathers, drilled the throats on the carburetors (Talk about nerve racking! The engine was detailed just as you see it now. Luckily, I didn't knock any of the carburetors loose.), glued a small piece of rod onto the breathers and painted the inside of the carburetors. Now, I can keep the breathers with the hood off and remove them when I want the hood on. I still have to hook the headers up to the mufflers and add them. But, I'm going to have to wait until the body and running boards are on. Whoever came up with the exhaust on this kit didn't know what the hell they were doing! The tail pipes go above the trailing arms and below the rearend. The rearend wouldn't be able to move in either direction! But, I'm not going to fix it at this point.
The interior is done! But,it wasn't without some drama. I decided to use a steering wheel from an AMT '49 Ford. I put the interior together, set the steering wheel/column, stuck it into the body and the steering wheel was too high. So, I took it back apart, shaved off around 3mms from the bottom of the seat and put it all back together. Now, it's like it should be. One big goof I did was I applied the instrument decal upside down and didn’t notice it until after it was set. Whatever! Can't see a lot of the interior anyway.